slow down

enjoy each and every blessing

Monday, January 11, 2010

Watch out for the commercials

I saw feelings coming out of my son last night that I had no clue a 5 year old could feel. He was watching a TV show in his room, and I thought I would go check up on him. He was just a boo-hooing. His little face was red and his nose was running. All he kept saying is that he didn't think he was sad, he thought he was happy. I asked him if the show did something to scare him or make him that happy. He couldn't really explain. Finally, he told me to watch the commercial. Then he rewound the DVR to an ASPCA commercial. Lots of little sad animals. Then he got more upset. We talked about it and he finally admitted that he felt sad that all of those animals didn't have homes. WoW. Who would have thought a commercial would upset a kid so much. It is very touching that he has such deep feelings for animals, I know he loves the ones we have. Most of the shows he watches are still little kid shows like Little Einsteins, Imagination Movers, Arthur and other Disney and PBS shows. So, we don't worry too much about the content...plus we've seen the shows a hundred times. Who knew you had to watch out for the commercials.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great comments about those commercials, I think I know exactly which ones you are talking about. Sounds like you have a very empathetic kid there, that's a good thing!

Lora Abernathy said...

Yeah, I know which one you're talking about, too. Very sad.

Just found your blog off BT. Looking forward to following.

- Lora